Monday, June 11, 2007

I Thought I Was a Goner

If you read this pretty pink page, you know I live in a sketchier part of town. It's not that big of a deal and it doesn't scare me, even when I am woken up at 4am by a SWAT team screaming "Get down, mother f*cker" as they tackle a criminal outside my bedroom window (true story from last summer).

But I was scared on Saturday morning.

I was walking to meet a friend at 8am, and I walked along the path next to the LRT (Edmonton's ghetto version of a subway). I had my MP3 on, I was jitterbugging to Wham, life was good. I saw a man ahead of me pushing a cart full of cans, and he was headed my way. As we got closer to each other, I veered to my left. He veered to his right. I shuffled to my right, he shuffled to his left. I saw a bat in his hand, and I froze. All I could think was "Christ, I am going to meet my end next to the tracks by a hobo with a bat". I stood still, scared. I have no survival instincts whatsoever and am rendered helpless in situations like this. He lifted his bat to hip waist and swung it a couple times. Then he started laughing. "I wouldn't hurt you, baby", he said with his toothless grin and he wheeled past me. "Not with a big bum like that!" I ran away and never looked back.

Was I saved by my big bum? Who knows. But that big bum scared me, and made me a little more leery of my hood. Damn him!

Hesitatingly Yours,
xoxoSallyt

No comments: