Saturday, March 21, 2009

Homesick

These are the days when I wish we lived closer to family.

Byron's uncle is sick and is not long for this world. The plane ticket for the two of us to fly off this island is more than $1,000. Yowza! We could drive, but that is scary and long and we'd show up exhausted and delirious. We'd both like to go, but can only really afford for one of us. This is so frustrating!

As soon as I could, I left home. Sure, I came back a couple times but never stayed for long. Both my grandmothers died when I was away. I would have loved to go say goodbye to them both, but the cost was far too much. It was almost justified. You would think that a wee 1.5 hour trip would not break the bank, and now that it's proving that really is the case, it's harder than I thought.

I can't bear to think what it's going to be like when my parents pass. My dad has had cancer, my mom has MS. What if the cancer comes back? What if my mom takes a turn for the worse?

Longingly Yours,
xoxoSally

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hugs.

Anonymous said...

why don't you drive to Vancouver and take a flight from there. Usually cheaper. Just a thought.