Tuesday, January 26, 2010

To Spawn or Not To Spawn

I have been married for more than a year now, and I guess people were giving us some time before we got down to business. No one mentioned babies before now. Well, except for my father-in-law at our reception. After several glasses of my famous Flirtini, he got tipsy, grabbed my arm and with watery eyes told me he wants to be a grampy. Who can say no to that?


We could.


Babies have been on our minds well before the wedding. We knew we wanted some, but weren’t sure when the right time is. And we’re still not. Is anyone? We have goals, such as buying a house and Byron finishing school to think of before we bring a baby on the scene. When is the right time!?!?!


Well, according to family and friends, 2010 is.


It started this fall when some former colleagues and friends found out we were house-hunting. In emails they would tell me to buy a house big enough to fill with “little Stuikes”. Then my aunt gave me a birthday card that wished me luck in “planning” the coming year. I joked with her and asked if she was telling me to have a baby. She giggled and said yes. My sister’s gotten in on the baby-urging, too. And just the other week, some co-workers asked me point blank if we were trying for a family.


Surprisingly, my mother has been silent on the subject. And she’s the one I figured would be most vocal! Everyone else, it seems, has an opinion on when we should have a child and when we should start trying. But my mother, who has an opinion on everything else is silent. Maybe George and Evelyn, and Dave and Nicole’s baby in May is keeping her busy?


For the record… it’s no one’s business. When we’re ready, we’ll tell people.


Does anyone else have people prying into their bedroom antics? Is anyone else getting conception questions? Is this, like a wedding registry, a passage of marriage?


Non-Conceivingly Yours,

xoxoSallyS

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Yes....my doctor pats my belly whenever I see her....and I tell her no. Friends with children hint that it would be neat if we had kids growing up together. Family hint that I am getting older. I agree with you Sally....when I am ready...I will let you know....until then....buzz off haha

Anonymous said...

Amen!!

We received wedding cards with such messages as, "May all your troubles be 'little ones'..." and one bluntly begged, "Please just give me a grandchild or two!"
(um, thanks, dad.)

Anonymous said...

There will never be a time when every thing in life is perfectly alligned to have kids. The only thing you need is you and your husband to want them . As soon as we got married people started asking and it really drove me crazy. Have them when your ready but I did hear that recent studies say 90% of your eggs are gone after 30.

XOX
Krystal