Friday, August 10, 2007

I am Betrothed

It's been less than a week since I got engaged to Byron. My ring isn't even on my finger! (It's coming back to me on the 15th... resizing) Finally, the idea of being married is starting to settle in. Perhaps because I have the greater part of our wedding mapped out in my head.

I never realized how traditional I really am. If anything, this courtship and engagement with Byron has shown me just how much of a traditionalist this one-time, self-declared non-marrying type is. You see, since the word has started spreading that I am getting married, I have gotten several emails from people expressing surprise. Many an email have started with "YOU!?!". When word got out that I was in a realtionship, I had a similar reaction. "YOU!?! In a relationship" was a common phrase in my inbox. I was offended! What am I? The billy goat's gruff? Then a friend pointed out that I have been squawking for years that I am not getting married and I will be independent forever. So, he said, I shouldn't be offended that people are surprised I am engaged, since I projected the image of the non-marrying, career-gal, independent chick for ages. In reality, that was never really me.

Another friend of mine, Janet, is getting married just a couple weeks before Byron and I. She's having a alterna-wedding. See her blog http://communities.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/blogs/weddeddiss/default.aspx
Janet is incredibly funny and the wedding is totally going to be "her". Me? I'm going more tradtional.

We're getting married on Friday, September 19th, 2008. It's going to be an evening wedding in a small country church. The Friday day is probably going to be the only "alternative" part of this union. You see, I think if we get married on a Friday, the people who are travelling have a couple days to relax and enjoy themselves afterwards. We may not be there, but they can make a weekend of it. As plans are made and ideas tossed around, my tradionalist side gets stronger. I am addicted to looking at wedding dresses. I know what I would like my bridesmaids to wear. I can envision what the reception will look like. I can see in my mind what the church will look like. And it's ALL very tradtional. Very etiquette-driven. Very proper and tasteful. But it's going to be LOADS of fun. After all, we're celebrating our love.

Engagingly Yours,
xoxoSallyS
(I have to get used to dropping the "T". My traditional side says to take his name. So I am.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! And to a westerner, giddy up.

Anonymous said...

congrats im getting engaged too yay me