Friday, December 19, 2008

My attempt to look productive

It's the Friday before Christmas. Half of my building are gone for the holidays. The other half are wandering the halls, dropping in on cubes and chatting. I am trying to look productive. We've "ramped down" for Christmas and there is nothing to do at work!

Sure, there are things at work to do. But I keep a pretty tidy desk already so the annual de-junk is not necessary. I even kept back some piddly projects, but blew my wad this morning in a spaz of activity.

Now, it's 2:55 p.m and I am going to go crazy.

Yesterday in our staff meeting I wondered aloud what management wants from us in the coming days when there is nothing going on. There are no demands from the Minister, there are no news releases, no events, no nothing! We were told to read the internet for education-related stories from other jurisdictions. Hmmm. Does Perez Hilton count?

CBC Yellowknife knew how to do Christmas right. Well, the tech shop boys did. It would be happening today. The Friday before Christmas, the tech shop boys hosted a party in the afternoon. Around 12 pm, the doors would open, the appies would arrive and the drinks would pour. My first Christmas there, I heard about this magical party. All morning, I heard rumblings of excitement. I watched meat and cheese platters being carried to the tech shop. The big dj booth would be wheeled down the hall. At 12 bells, you could see the multi-coloured lights strobing on the walls of the hallway down to the tech shop. by four o'clock I was clinking plactic cups of Crown Royal with a producer I usally butted heads with. Magical.

And the party embodied all that was good with Christmas. Old enemies laughed together. You forgot for a moment that you think the tv reporter is a retarded diva. People you never spoke to were telling you jokes. That creepy weekend dj was your dance partner to some Stevie Wonder. Magical.

The tech shop boys party melted away an unproductive day before Christmas. I find myself this afternoon pining for Darryl et al and a tech shop party. Instead, I am praying my boss lets us go soon.

Festively Yours,
xoxoSallyS

No comments: