Thursday, May 22, 2008

Freedom? Faith? Monkey?

On July 4th, in Vancouver, George Michael is in concert. AIIIIEEEE! I want to go.

I was falling in love with Byron when he told me that he, too, loved George Michael. At that moment, I knew we were together forever. This week's task for the wedding is listing all the songs we want played at the reception. It was Byron who said we needed lots of George Michael played. I love that man! Both Byron and George.

So last night, when I saw the George Michael medley on American Idol, and then George himself sing, I nearly wet my pants. And it got me thinking... why don't Byron and I go see GM in Vancouver?

Why don't we?

Because it would cost too much, especially when it's just a couple months before the wedding we're paying for. Tickets are pricey, at $75 each. Hotels are ridiculously overpriced. The gas and the ferry... it all adds up to an expensive night out.

Besides the love of George Michael, here's another reason I love Byron. He makes me think twice before spending. I have always had a problem with spending. I will buy something, think later. I will see $100 in my account, my last $100, and spend every last cent with glee. Since getting together with Byron, he's made me stop doing that and gets me thinking long term about money. Thank god!

So the old Sally would buy the tickets, book the hotel and not think twice about it. The new Sally thinks there are more pressing issues to address, namely how to pay for our wedding. The $500 we could easily spend on that one night can pay for our entire service at the church. Or it could pay for our accomodations the week of the wedding. Or it could pay for one of us to fly to Edmonton for the wedding. It could almost pay for the hall rental.

Sure, I could dance to "Too Funky" live. But really, I'd rather have a beautiful church in which to marry Byron, or a big hall to dance in with him. To a George Michael song, natch.

Decidingly Yours,
xoxoSallyt

No comments: