Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Just marry me already

My wedding dress arrived yesterday. Byron called me at work to tell me a package had arrived and after work, I skipped Curves and skipped home.

My dress was a bit of a task. I went to a couple places here in Victoria, tried on a few, and found one that seemed nice, but not stellar. And since I am large, trying on dresses was futile. They carry the samples in small sizes so the best I could do was close my eyes and imagine. Then I could order one, hope for the best, and hope the $1000 dress was worth it. I think that process is bullshit.

So I went online, which is a scary idea for someone like me who is still wary of online shopping. I found this boutique on EBay, of all places, and found a dress that I loved. I did a survey of friends and family about this dress and they all agreed it was nice. There were, though, some raised eyebrows about ordering a wedding dress online. It was only $250, so I did it. I ordered it, knowing that I can return it if the dress turns out all wrong.

It's all right! I am not going to go into detail, or even post a picture since Byron reads this blog. It's pretty, girly without being precious, and is too big! That is a good thing! I'll get it tailored to fit me perfectly without being too tight. I do not want to look like an un-cooked bratwurst at my wedding.

As I raced home yesterday, I got sadder and sadder as I got closer to my door. I am all alone here in Victoria. My best friend is in Texas. My mother and sister are in Dartmouth. My sister-in-law is in Alberta. I have no one to tell me the dress is all wrong even if I think it's all right. I have no one to even take a picture of me in the dress so I can show Candie, Jane or Hillie! It was really sad. I have to get input on my dress from strangers at a dress shop, when I go for alterations.

Most times, I am glad the wedding is being planned away from family and friends. We can do things our way. For instance, we are doing a seating arrangement and that will be set in stone before we go there so no outside parties can meddle and move places a day before the wedding.

I had a wonderfully long talk with my mother last night about the dress and the wedding in general. I told her all the plans we have. She gave her input on music, and her ideas on our ideas. It was good to get some help, even though it's at arm's length. I guess the beauty of planning the wedding so far from loved ones is that this wedding will be OURS. All the influences, touches and flavours of the day will be ours.

Like they say at my work, it's all about re-framing. It seems like a sucky sitch to be away from loved ones right now, but I just need to re-frame it and see a disadvantage in a different light.

My last manager at my last job always said I was unorganized. She was always nagging at me, which made me shut down on her. Well, I made a list to beat all lists last week. Every little thing for the wedding, from buying plane tickets to buying underwear was assigned a week. It's colour-coded, detailed and highly organized. I want to take a picture and tell her to feast on my organizational skills. But right about now, I am ready for the wedding to come. I am sick of planning already. Just marry me already!

Clothingly Yours,
xoxoSallyt

No comments: