Friday, November 30, 2007

Not so nice

It's my Friday ritual. On my walk to work, I pop into a Starbucks and get myself a coffee. I see it as a reward for yet another work week knocked off. But this morning's treat was tainted.

As I walked in to the shop, this woman was humming and hawing over the baked goods and skittering back and forth between the case and the cash. In a thick German accent, she started asking the barista about what a scone is. Really?! See, it was 5:45am, and I had to be at work for 6. I was cutting it close, so I didn't really have time to listen to a bakery lesson. She got her shit, I got mine, and we ended up at the cream station together. She lookes up at me like I was Shrek when I reached for the cream and I scowled at her for being in my way, which she was. She made me angry. As I left the store, I had an epiphany.

I am a bitch.

Really, I did not want to be like this to her or anyone else. I just wanted coffee and be on my way. I'm going to try to be nice today, even to even the people who aren't nice to me.

The other day, Byron and I were walking along the streets, and I realized that no one here in Victoria says hello. They don't smile at people they pass, they don't say hi to the people they recognize from the 'hood. Maybe because this is a tourist town, people living here don't bother with niceties. I don't like it. When I smile at someone on the street, don't pretend I am not there. If I say hello to you it's because I see you every frigging day on my way home from work. Say hi back, you fool! It's even worse at work, when I see the same people day in and day out. No one talks in the halls, the elevator rides are eerily silent, and no one will hold a door open. I can't stand it! I also can't stand being the idiot saying hello fruitlessly to people.

It's time for a vacation. Speaking of which... two weeks from tonight Byron and I are flying home. Yippee!

Greetingly Yours,
xoxoSallyt

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Glen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Glen said...

Hmmm, I think you just got spammed.

Anyways, I don't think you're a bitch, and if nothing else by telling your story you have helped the world.

This morning I was up out of bed and off to Starbucks to prepare for a day of paper writing. I had much the same experience. He had even paid, before preceding to do another round of buying while I was still waiting to order my coffee.

Now I was ready to about bitchslap the person in front of me (who happened to be the leader of the Sasktchewan Liberals) but I thought of your tale and decided no, I would not. I would wait patiently and try to be nice.

Glen

PS: I did feel the need to take pity on him, since they didn't win a seat in the last election.