Thursday, June 5, 2008

We're a good team

It was dark brown, made from chip-board, big, heavy and infinitely ugly. The Behemoth was a leftover from the guy who lived in our apartment before we did. It sat in a corner of our living room, and with all the cubby holes and compartments, it was a hoarder's dream. To Byron and I, it was a heinous mess.

It's gone.

Byron's belongings are arriving today from Alberta. He has bookcases and a desk his dad made, a big tv, an exercise bike, a motor bike, and everything he wanted to bring to this new life is on its way. But with The Behemoth in the way, we couldn't fit all of Byron's things in. It had to go.

We procrastinated and pretended we forgot about it for long enough. For weeks, we'd say that we would take it to the garbage this week, or this evening, or this weekend. After dinner last night, we realized that we had put it off for long enough, and it was last night or never. So we took the top part of The Behemoth off (yes, it had two, equally heavy parts), and dragged it down the hallto the elevator. Since it was about seven feet long, it didn't fit inside, so we tried to haul it down the stairs. But we got stuck. So we dragged it back to our apartment and dismantled it there. With hand-held screwdrivers, not even electric drills, we took apart the chip-board Behemoth. Then we dragged The Behemoth out to the dumpster, piece by piece.

As I watched Byron crouched down, concentrating on the screws, I realized something. We make a good team. I have no patience with shit like this. I want it out, I want it done, and I want it done now. I was grunting and groaning and whining. He was patient and diligent. After a few screws came out on my side, I would take the boots to The Behemoth and kick it apart, literally. He was more meticulous. But we did it. We got The Behemoth out of our living room, making so much more room for his computer desk and 50" flat screen tv. I can't wait for Byron to be completely moved in.

We make a good team, that Byron and I. Whew!

Screwingly Yours,
xoxoSallyt

No comments: