Thursday, October 30, 2008

Humiliation

Let me share some tales of my childhood. I was a tall girl, awkward and geeky. I had the habit of giggling creepily and breathing hard around a guy I liked. Friends were few, but humiliations were plenty. Here's one of them...

When I was about 10, maybe 11, I went trick or treating with my younger sister and brother. Since I was taller than everyone else, I stood out and the fact I looked older than I was didn't help. When I was 14, someone thought I was 21. That someone was some skeevy guy in a Camaro by the playground, but I digress.

So this one year, the three of us were in the 'hood, begging for candy. We stopped at this one house and some crotchety old man answered. Looking back, he probably wasn't that old, but he was an asshole anyway. He scowled at the three of us, then started yelling at me that I was too big to be out and I should go home. I don't know if the big was referring to my height or weight, either way, I was humiliated. I stood there stunned with tears in my eyes. The old bat gave my sister and brother candy and refused to give me any.

That was the last time I did Halloween.

Since then, if ever I did anything Halloweeny, I wore all black like Hecubus and slapped on extra eyeliner. A couple years ago, I wore a belly dancing scarf over the black uniform and called it a night.

All was not lost that night when I was 10. My sister and brother both shared their candy with me.

Spookily Yours,
xoxoSallyS

No comments: