Wednesday, February 13, 2008

My Funny Valentine

This year will be the very first year I have a Valentine on Valentine's Day. Big whoop, right? Well, for this lady who has always loathed the day, it's kind of weird. Years ago, I held an Anti-Valentine party, complete with anti-love songs and "dirty" cupcakes (I wrote things like "you're diseased" and "jerk" in icing. Tres classy.) I never got swept up in wearing red and pink on February 14th. I wore black. I hated all the schmaltzy cack that went along with Valentine's Day. And I do believe I still hate that cack. But I am a whore for those red cinnamon hearts.

Last night, I was working out and a couple women were talking about a singles event at a local grocery store. Apparently tomorrow night is Singles Night. You can get your groceries and troll for a mate! They have nametags, and sexy music blaring. There are contests and freebies, and a DJ who will annouce that Bobbo saw Chicksy in the yogurt section and wants to talk to her. Very strange. One of the women went last year and had fun, and is thinking of going again.

As I walked out of the workout area, the veteran Singles Nighter said "aren't you glad you're engaged? Now you don't have to go through this anymore!" I giggled nervously and said that I was in their boat last year and I understand.

I understand?!?! What kind of patronizing answer was that!?!?

Thinking back on it, what was she doing asking me such a thing? I'm glad I'm engaged to a wonderful man, and yes I am glad I don't have to troll for men in grocery stores. I am glad I don't have to endure loser men any more. I am thrilled I have someone to talk to and kiss whenever I want to. I am happy to share my life with Byron and I no longer have to think of clever ways to meet a good and decent man. I met him and we're happy and getting married in 219 days. That's what I really wanted to say, but instead, I understood.

Blech.

Understandlingly Yours,
xoxoSallyt

No comments: