Tuesday, April 15, 2008

They're kidding, right? Right?

I read this a couple weeks ago, and the news shocked me then. I am dumbfounded.

WHY is Lauren Conrad, of The Hills fame, writing a blog for the NHL playoffs. Yes, you read right... National Hockey League. Hockey. Lauren Conrad. There is no connection whatsoever. It's like asking 50 Cent to discuss Shakespeare. It just cannot be done.

On her first and only entry so far, she says she sometimes goes to an LA Kings game, but since they're out, she's cheering on Anaheim. The backlash from readers of this blog has not been kind.

I can roll with change, so when the NHL scrapped the Smythe et al divisions for Western Conference, etc, I didn't even notice. Apparently after the strike, there were some rule changes. Whatever. As long as the NHL keeps going, who am I to complain. But when a time-tested organization like the NHL tries to hit a younger and more diverse demographic by using hokey tactics like this makes my blood boil. The NHL, instead of looking hipper and more girl-friendly, comes off looking pathetic and sad. Like the dancing 48 year old divorcee at a rave. You just want to wrap your coat around them and send them home.

If the NHL wanted to get on the blog bandwagon, reach a younger, more diverse audience, they could have found a real celebrity hockey fan, who has cred with the guys and who the girls love, too. Maybe Hayden Christensen*. Or perhaps Adam Brody*. Not some fashionista who can hardly string a sentance together.

Like, you know,
xoxoSallyt

* These are my uneducated guesses. These guys are young, cute, and one is from Canada, he has to like hockey, right? Who would you have wanted to write an NHL blog? Discuss...

2 comments:

Megan said...

Ahahahaha!

I really don't understand the fascination with those Hills girls. They seem completely boring to me. Or am I missing something by not watching the show?

Anonymous said...

Do NOT start watching, megs, I swear you will be sucked into the vortex. And trust me, it's a hard one to crawl out of.