Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Stay Calm

I got a call from my mother yesterday afternoon. As I picked up the phone, I heard screeching. It was George. I couldn't tell if he was laughing or crying. Turns out he was crying and Hillie sounded exasperated. George would only settle if he was being held and walked. Hillie has MS and walking for a length of time is bad news. I felt bad for her, and wished I was there. But then my sympathy turned to laughter.

Hillie didn't call to vent or solicit sympathy. She had three kids of her own, she can handle a crying 3 month old. She was calling to deter me from getting pregnant in the next six months.

Our wedding is exactly six months from today. And in recent weeks, I have gotten weird calls from Hillie warning me not to get pregnant. She knows Byron and I want to start a family, but Byron and I have decided when would be a good time to try. And in the next six months is NOT in the cards.

Hillie called a couple weeks ago to share a nightmare she had. In the dream, I called her at 3am to tell her we were expecting. She lectured me in her dream. According to her, it was one of those dreams where, upon waking, you are convinced it really happened. I'm not sure if she was relaying her dream, or warning me to keep my eggs unfertilized. Byron and I got a good laugh from that one.

So from now until I am officially Mrs. Stuike, I will continue to get these calls from my mother, warning us to not get pregnant. Maybe she'll give it up at the T-minus 2 month mark, knowing I won't show. Probably not. Maybe to toy with her, we'll get her a shotgun for our wedding, and watch her lose her mind. Most likely not. I don't want to pick on the woman.

Unexpectedly Yours,
xoxoSallyt

6 comments:

Megan said...

This was hilarious.

Anonymous said...

It leaves the door open to so many tricks (read: mental abuse)!

Anonymous said...

Now I know why I haven't heard from Hillie for awhile. Glad to see you won't 'pick' on her, she has enough to handle. And remember...don't get pregnant!

Anonymous said...

I have one mother, Mala, I don't need another lecturing me on my reproducing.

Anonymous said...

The picture on your blog - are they cherry trees? Suggestion in comments taken - I don't think we understand each other's sense of humor so I'll refrain.

Anonymous said...

Comments are always welcome, Mala.