Tuesday, November 24, 2009

In Defense of the Snuggie

Mock not, my friends, when I say the Snuggie is one of the greatest inventions of our time. I was once a mocker, too. I laughed uproariously when the commercials aired. I declared that someone wearing a Snuggie looked and was ridiculous. A blanket with holes? Who could be so dumb? I am. Except that I am not dumb for owning and proudly wearing a Snuggie.


Byron’s and my quest for comfort drew us to the Snuggie. In early October, Edmonton had a freakish cold snap. We had just moved back there from the balmy shores of Victoria, where the average temperature in the winter is about 3 degrees. When this cold snap hit us, we chattered our teeth and wondered how we could possibly survive in Edmonton. Never mind that Byron grew up around here and I had been living there for years before we moved.


One Saturday, in the middle of the cold snap, we decided to brace ourselves for winter. I have rented since I left my parent’s house so whenever it was chilly, or I got a chill, I would crank the heat. In the two years we were in Victoria, By and I kept a very warm house. For the first time, he never had to pay for heat, so he also cranked the heat whenever he wanted. Here, we have to pay for our heat. We are very reluctant to turn the heat up. How could we remain comfortable and warm, while not bankrupting ourselves?


One word.


Snuggie.


We got provisions for a long winter that weekend. We got flannel sheets, a kettle, slippers… and Snuggies. They are tan. They go past our feet and the sleeves extend well past our fingertips. They have a high neck and are fuzzy. They are the best things ever. We care not if we look silly sitting on the couch, all Snugged up. The shame has disappeared when we walk around the house in our Snugs to get a book or a drink. It’s like a warm, body-length hug. The thermostat has not gone past 20, even though it’s frosty outside and there’s a nip in our house. We no longer care, for we have our Snuggies.


Seriously, if I could, I would give a Snuggie to all my family and friends just so we can share the joy of wearing, curling up under, and snuggling under the Snuggie.


Comfortably Yours,

xoxoSallyS

7 comments:

Megan said...

If you like, I have a juicer I could drop off the next time I'm in town. I also think I have a latte frother.

Anonymous said...

I'm also in the market for Slap Chop and Sham Wow. Really, anything from the "As Seen on TV" store.

But do not mock the Snuggie until you try one on...

Tyler said...

I can't fault you for wanting a Sham Wow (those things are awesome; you'll say "wow" every time) but a Slap Chop? You know by buying these things, you're supporting Vince's hooker-slapping habit, right?

Anonymous said...

He must practice his ho-slappin' on his slap chop.

Anonymous said...

If you get one for family and friends, don't forget to get one for Blanche. Her and dad would be perched in dad's chair with their Snuggies on would be priceless. Jane

Anonymous said...

They make Snuggies for dogs. Blanche would either love it or pee on it.

Faith said...

They should totally make them in flannel for people who hate that material. TOTALLY.