Thursday, November 19, 2009

Who's Coming?

The Company’s Coming headquarters is just around the corner from my house. Imagine my glee a few weeks back when I saw a sign outside their building advertising their annual cookbook sale. I got up early last Saturday and went. The books were on sale for 50-80% off because of scratches and dents, but the ones I picked up looked fine. Besides, I would do enough damage on my own just using them.


The warehouse was packed with books, and Jean Pare herself perched in a corner, autographing books. There were older women, women my age, strollers and old men. You could tell we all shared a love of these cookbooks and strangers consulted strangers on the value of a certain cookbook over another. It was very civilized as we got into an impromptu line and snaked around the perimeter of the warehouse, poring over stacks of books. It was bliss. I even got Mrs. Pare to sign the book of cookie recipes for my mother.


I picked up a copy of the casserole cookbook for myself. My mother had this book when we were growing up and I mocked her relentlessly for it. Some of the recipes from that book are just downright gross. Carman’s Caper is just wrong on so many levels. Hillie loved it and it remained a staple in our meal rotation for years. I had forgotten about (blocked out?) that meal until I flipped through the book and was reminded of the bland, mushy mess of Carman’s Caper. Then I flipped through the book again, looking for one of the more heinous culinary creations – Fish Stick Casserole. Rice, layered with a can of tomatoes, fish sticks and cheese on top. I hated that meal, and loathed it more whenever my mother made it, she would load a forkful into her mouth, smirk and tell me it was wonderful. Thankfully, the editors of Company’s Coming realized that dish was disgusting and edited it out of my version.


I picked up six books in total for myself, and am looking forward to next year. I saw some women with lists of books they wanted to get, and dutifully checked them off as they picked them up. Good idea. Does anyone have a cookbook they want next year? My list is being crafted…


Sauteeingly Yours,

xoxoSallyS

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely surprise to see you're writing on your blog again. Although you think you have nothing to say there are people out there who enjoy your 'slice of life'. To read any well written piece - as yours are- my only complaint is that they aren't long enough. Thanks for taking the time to entertain us.