Friday, January 19, 2007

Down with the Cosmos of the World!

I hate Cosmo magazine. And Glamour, and Jane, and Marie Claire, and all those insipid women's magazines. Loathe them. I used to be an avid buyer of such magazines. In fact, at one point, my two (female) roommates and I would end up buying each monthly edition of each women's magazine out there. We would have hundreds of pounds of glossy paper in our home. And we learned nothing from them.

So I have taken a stand. I refuse to buy magazines that add nothing to the intelligent dialogue between women.

Because if you look at those Cosmo-Glamour-Elle magazines, they don't really tell us how to be better people, just glossier. They don't tell us how to make a difference our lives, just how to give good blow-jobs. They tell us how to be walking, talking, sweet-smelling blow-up dolls. And I, my friends, am not a blow-up doll. And neither are you.

Have you ever read a Cosmo-Glamour-Marie Claire? The articles are all recycled. Every year, you'll see an article on a college girl getting date raped, or why Paps are smart, or the benefits of strengthening your Kegels. Names are changed, graphics are changed, and minor details are changed, but they're all the same. Where's the mental challenge in that? And the sex articles, god almighty have mercy on us all, the sex articles! There are hundreds of stories in those rags telling "Cosmo Girls" (shudder) how to be the perfect puss in bed, how to be a crackerjack lover, and give the best pleasure to your man. Ick! What about YOU, I want to yell! What about you.

I love magazines, don't misread me. I love Bust (http://bust.com) and Walrus (http://walrusmagazine.com). These are magazines of substance. And really, when I'm going to drop some cash on reading material, I want something to read, not just pretty pictures to giggle at.

My one exception is the September issue of Vogue. It's huge, it's heavy and it's gorgeous with luxurious ads and fashion spreads. I can't wear a stitch of what they're selling, but hell, I love looking at it. I look forward to it every year, and I break down and buy it every year.

Annnnd.... SPENT!
xoxoSally

No comments: