Friday, January 5, 2007

Capacity is Whack

When you read the word "capacity", what comes to mind? For me, it's the amount a certain object can hold, like an elevator, or a jug or a wine glass.

At work, a social service agency, for those who don't know, "capacity" has a totally different meaning. I'm not quite sure what it is, and I have asked for a specific definition. The response has always been, "Oh you know, capacity". Oh yeah! That capacity. Silly me! How could I be so dumb? How could I have lived this long without knowing what capacity is. Me so stoopid.

I'm in the middle of a giant project right now, and the long and the short of it is that I am writing all 100+ programs we offer into plain language. Megan must be licking her chops right about now. If I see the word "capacity" one more time, I will not be responsible for my actions.

As far as I can gather, it means someone's abilty to do something. For example... "increase an individual's capacity to build social relationships" might mean "help someone make friends". Am I right? Discuss.

This project is making me wish my liver had the capacity to hold large volumes of gin.

xoxoSallyt

4 comments:

Megan said...

No, no, no. Indviduals don't have capacity. Stakeholders and communities have capacity. Governments provide matched funding and administrative support to assist with capacity-building at the community level.

Perhaps you would benefit from a demonstration of its applicability to your blog.

Building on the momentum of previous conferences, our upcoming conference will provide a venue for the final discussion and approval of the Integrated Blog Sustainability Plan Template. This will assist bloggers in preparing for formal implementation of the New Blogger Plan, specific to their roles and responsibilities in addition to the exchange of best practices at all levels.

Glen said...

Now, if we could only find a way to utilize all this inherent capacity we could move the yardsticks and develop new benchmarks to better reflect the horizontal integration occurring between our blogs.

I think my head is going to explode!

Megan said...

Glen, have you been listening to CBC management again?

Cin said...

"utilize" -- this word was coined by Satan himself.

Grrrr -- just looking at it ticks me off.