Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Ode to My Landlord

If you've read any of this blog, you will quickly learn that I live in a sketchier, although very colourful, part of Edmonton. I am pleased to update that the drug dealers next door have, in fact, moved out. And there has not been a crack head sighting in well over a month. Ka-za! I call that progress.

If you read any newspapers, or heed the media, you will hear all about the "Alberta Advantage" where there are hundreds of jobs and thousands of dollars just sitting here waiting to be earned. Yet, with that Advantage comes high prices, low vacancy rates, and people crying foul. I certainly can cry foul. Although I am gainfully employed, I am not raking in the big moolah like other Albertans, transferred or otherwise.

There has been a lot of coverage lately about landlords who are jacking up rents, sometimes doubling the rent. Some of these landlords have the audacity to raise the rent ridiculously for rat-traps. Oh, I understand they're in a business, and they have to raise rents according to the market. But to charge someone $1000 for a slummy bachelor? I think not! Plus, a lot of landlords are turning their buildings into condos. Most of my 'hood now has gone condo. Tiny apartments that are gross in the first place are now selling for $250,000. Nuts, I tells you, nuts!

So imagine my nail biting this spring when my lease was up. Was my building going condo? How much more would I have to pay a month in rent? Could I afford it? If it did go condo, would i want to buy my apartment? Fret fret fret...

A couple weeks ago, while sitting in my living room, I heard the shuffle of paper under my door. I scurried to get it, and saw the doom. My landlord was indeed raising my rent. My heart sank as I read the notice. My rent was going up $95 a month! Come August I'll pay $645 for a HUGE one bedroom. So big, that it could easily be a two bedroom! $95 month?! That's nothing!

My landlord deserves this ode for this... When I went to pay my rent last month, she opened the door with teary eyes. She apologized profusely for the increase, and said she agonized over it. She said it was the last thing in the world she wanted, but she had to raise it, just to cover the rising costs. How refreshing! Her tears and apology made me realize I am lucky to live in the place I do, even though I live in the quasi-ghetto.

I don't live in an Elvis song after all! Hurray!

smooches!
xoxoSallyt

No comments: