Friday, May 4, 2007

Writers Block!!!

Ugh! I am suffering from a case of writers block. Sever case, in fact. I have a big story writers thing coming up, and I need to wow the crowd with my words. But I have no words right now.

I go to this thing every third Wednesday called Story Slam. Writers from around the city gather and have 5 minutes to read a short story in front of the corwd. You're judged, graded, and given points. I have won three times already. And I'm not going to lie, folks, I love winning!

So on May 16th, it's the Slam Off, where all winners from the past year read their best work. It has to be original. I have some ideas, but nothing is coming to mind.
I like to write stories in the vein of David Sedaris. I take something that has happened in my life and blow it up into comedic proportions. Lots of crazy things have happened in my life, and I have no qualms about writing about them. But my well of ideas has dried up for the time being.

This is how I write... I walk. I walk around, and as I'm walking, usually the first paragraph comes into my head, and the rest of the story just tumbles into place. I'll walk around with a story in my head, and then one day, usually on my lunch break, I write my story. All the stories I write for Story Slam have been fermenting in my head for a week or so, and then I write them on my lunch on the day of the contest. But Slam Off is a big deal! I just can't let the stories mull in my head for a week. I have to start writing now! But when I do, nothing comes. Or if anything comes, it's cack.

I do have a story written already, about my desert safari. But I'm not sure it's the one I want to showcase at this event. I also have a collection of children's stories stored up, but that's not the proper venue for my children's tales. I need something funny, something innovative, something that has hidden layers, something with a delicate play on words, I need a grip!!

Thank you for allowing me to vent. I'll let you know how it all goes. Maybe someday, I will even publish a story right here on this pretty pink page.

Scribblingly Yours,
xoxoSallyt

1 comment:

Megan said...

Publish! Publish!