Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Strange Currencies

Summer is here in Edmonton. For the time being, at least. And with it brings a host of strange and annoying habits of my fellow city-dwellers.

On Sunday, the temperature broke the 20 degree mark, so I whipped open all my blinds and windows and my stale apartment breathed fresh air again. I sat on my patio to get some sun on my now-pale skin, since I lost any tan I got in Abu Dhabi. But I got roared back inside. I have a neighbour with a big motorbike who loves to rev it in the parkade. The motor reverberates in the parkade, and then in the alley and drowns out all coversations going on in my head. Do you think I can get away with poring a bit of sugar in his gas tank? I'd like to.

Then yesterday, I was walking home, and I saw a homeless man in the middle of the road. Seriously, in the middle of an intersection on one of the busiest streets in the city. He had a cart full of cans and his life. He was struggling to put a shirt on in the middle of the road. Cars would inch past him, no one honked, and no one was trying to get him off the road. I shouted at him that he would get hurt but he drunkenly gave me the finger. But he was so drunk he pointed the finger in the opposite direction. I turned back after I crossed the street, and a man had grabbed his cart and shuffled him to the sidewalk. I've seen things similar to that before, but to see him weaving in the middle of the road was a bit strange.

Welcome, sweet friends, to the world of blogs Ms. Candie B-A. My best friend of 14 years (we met when we were 10) started her blog. Ch-check it out at www.oksothisisthedeal.blogspot.com. She is funny and talented and smart and you will love her world. I do.

On the not-so-strange front.. I have two stories written for the Slam-Off next week! Two! I am putting the finishing touches on them, and will decide soon which one to read. Two stories! Yay!

Head-Shakingly Yours,
xoxoSallyt

No comments: