Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Stranded in the Desert

Oh, it's not as dramtic as I make it sound, but I am stranded in the Abu Dhabi airport waiting for a connecting flight from Bahrain. The captain of the plane thought it was a brilliant idea to land the jet in a thunderstorm and now a couple hundred people are waiting for that plane here. We're four hours behind now, and last check 15 minutes ago, the plane MAY be leaving Bah-frigging-rain in 20 minutes. So any foray into Amsterdam is off. I may have 2 hours to spend there. Enough to shower, change, and get on the next plane.

I have, in the past, been in situations like this before, and it was always in Canada. I must say, it is quite civilized here. No one is screaming, no tempers, and the only tears are from tired toddlers. There are no ranting Americans, or screeching Canadians. Everyone is very calm about it. Very "que sera". Even when I could feel a wall-eyed fit brew in my guts when the barely-speaking-English steward failed to answer my question, I stepped back and realized I would be a huge cliche. The ranting, raving North American.

Oh, I see some movement at my gate. Must run before they leave without me!

Tiredly Yours,
xoxoSally

No comments: