Saturday, March 24, 2007

"I wanna checka you unda-pant!"

I live next to a corner store run by a Chinese couple. The woman is very nice, even though she is there every single day. Whenever I go in, she makes small talk with me, usually telling me how "code" it is outside. Lately she's been complaining about the kids coming in and stealing. Last week, she ranted like a loon to me about kids gypping her out of 14 cents. But today took the biscuit.

I was walking up my street, when I saw a gaggle of people on the sidewalk ahead of me. I realized it was the tiny Chinese lady confronting the teenagers she thought stole from her. They were just kids, albeit the kind that look like they know already what jail looks like. Little Chinese Lady was fighting with one girl in particular. The girl had a puffy jacket and white track pants on. The Chinese lady was yelling that she has things in her pants. The kids yelled back. Then the Chinese lady yells "I wanna checka you unda-pant!" Such passion over a freezie, or bag of chips. Chinese Lady is thinking though, by keeping the big ticket items like crack pipes and bongs and pictures of holographic waterfalls behind the counter. I kid you not - I can buy a crack pipe with my diet pepsi at my corner store.

Right about now, I should hear Elvis' "In the Ghetto". It plays in my mind as I walk around my 'hood anyway.

Thuggily Yours,
xoxoSally

1 comment:

Megan said...

Are you feeling better than you were earlier in the week?